Would you like to hear my theory as to why so many New York City residents are fit? They WALK almost EVERYWHERE! In February I had the opportunity go to New York City for a conference and I intentionally wore my FitBit so I could see exactly how many steps I took each day.
Travel to NYC, walking on 5th Ave., out to dinner...22,250 steps
Walked to/from Conference, Sat 4 hours, walked to/from lunch, Sat. 4 more hours, walked to/from dinner...16,385 steps
Walked to/from Conference, Sat 4 hours, walked to/from lunch, Sat. 3 more hours, travelled home...15,454 steps
To me these results are simply astonishing! It was almost unbelievable that I took so many steps and was sitting at a conference for the majority of two days!
Did you know according to the American Heart Association that if you walk less than 5,000 steps per day that you are considered sedentary? Yep, that's right...if you walk less than 2.5 miles per day you are not WALKING enough!
There are several reasons I am so fond of walking.
• Walking is one of the best forms of exercising because it is low impact and causes little stress on the joints and void of debilitating or infirmity, everyone can do it!
• Also, YOU have the necessary equipment you need to walk; it's those two appendages on the lower half of your body. So, you have trouble with your hips, knees, ankles or feet you might want to try Nordic walking, using walking sticks as an aid. Also when you look at the horizon in front of you, well that's where you walk.
• Lastly, walking is the simplest form of exercise for a good foundation for health and wellness.
There are many great reasons to walk, but according to the American Heart Association here are some of the benefits:
• Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
• Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
• Improve blood lipid profile
• Maintain body weight and lower the risk of obesity
• Enhance mental well being
• Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
• Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
• Reduce the risk of non-insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes
Because I believe in the benefits of walking, and walking has the lowest exercise dropout rate I have created Step Into Summer, 10 Week Walking Challenge! During these 10 weeks YOU are going to be in competition with YOU! You will measure your average number steps over a three-day period and then you will challenge yourself to take more steps each and everyday for 10 weeks. The goal is to create a sustainable walking habit!
Even though I stated that you actually have all the equipment you need to walk, you will need several things to be successful in this program. You will need good quality walking shoes that fit your feet properly and offer the support you need. And you will need some type of pedometer or tracking device. There are several apps available such as Map My Run, Stava, Runtastic Pedometer, Steps Pedometer or you can purchase a device such as these:
Omron HJ-321 Tri-Axis Pedometer, Black
Omron HJ-112 Pocket Pedometer
Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity + Sleep Wristband
UP 24 by Jawbone - Bluetooth Enabled - Medium - Retail Packaging - Onyx
And don't forget your water bottle. With the temperatures and humidity being higher in the summer you will need to stay hydrated.
During Step into Summer, I will be your walking coach cheering you on every step of the way. As your coach, I am going to share with you healthy eating tips and tricks that will assist you in making healthy eating choices, too.
For those of you who live in or close to Oxford we are going to meet up on Monday evenings at 6 pm beginning June 23 for stretching, group walking, and healthy eating and exercising tips. Be prepared to learn, walk and have FUN!
So, you don't live near Oxford and want to join in, no worries! I've got you covered with a virtual program! You will get a weekly email with all the same information. AND you will also be a part of the private FB group where you will connect with EVERYONE!
Walking is the simplest exercise change you can make to effectively improve your health. This summer is the perfect time to challenge yourself to take a STEP in the right direction!
Moving forward, one STEP at a time!
Ps...As a added BONUS, everyone will get a private, one on one, 30 minute Discovery Session!